What is a Facial?
We all know what a facial is but do we really understand the different types of facials. I would Facial’s come in many different treatment forms, whether it is a basic mask, a laser facial, or a manual extraction facial.
The good news is they all serve to achieve the same goal - clearer and better skin. The easiest way to have cleaner looking skin is by removing the buildup of sweat and dirt in your pores while simultaneously decreasing pore size.
Most people are not taking enough care of their face. Maintaining your skin regimen is no easy task. This is the main reason why people continue to run into nagging skin problems like breakouts and redness.
Everyone’s skin is different and will react differently to treatments and products. Finding what works best for you is a matter of trial and error, that can be expedited by having a consultation with a nurse practitioner.
Facials should realistically be done every two weeks to maintain facial health. It is a quick and easy way to maintain a healthy balance within our skin. For those who want to take their skin health seriously we would recommend signing up for a medical spa membership.
What does a facial do for you?
Most often a facial serves to clean the skin and helps prolong the signs of aging.
We all know that facials are a basic multi-step treatment that will clear the worries of pores and blackheads on your face, and it is the best quick fix to fixing redness.
The basic steps to a facial is cleansing, exfoliating , and nourishing the skin to promote a clear, well-hydrated complexion that will help your skin look and feel younger.
One of the benefits during is that you will receive a personalized treatment plan that will include the best information and products to take care of your skin. It is important to mention that a facial works most efficiently when it is part of an on-going treatment plan.
Even though these are valid reasons to get facials, most people still don't understand why a variety of serums and peels are used and then removed so quickly. Another common question people have is how long is the correct time to wait in between facials
What types of facials are there?
Manual Extraction Facial
- Manual Extraction is ideal for people who are mostly concerned with their pimples and blackheads. The easiest way to get rid of these concerns is with an aesthetician at a basic spa that offers facials.
- The best facials in town! Hydrafacials extract, exfoliate and hydrate your skin without pain or discomfort. Boosters and perks can be added to address specific skin concerns.
- Micro-Dermabrasion is becoming an increasingly popular treatment due to the fact that it removes the top layer of the skin, and allows younger and newer skin to come to life. Most people get this treatment done to reduce the appearance of sun damage, wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, and other skin-related concerns and conditions.
- The most common mask is the charcoal mask, this mask is usually meant to extract dirt while cleaning and minimizing the size of your pores. The only issue with masks is that you do not want to over do it, because it will surely lead to redness and irritation. We believe that if you are going to use a charcoal mask you should use it safely to clear excess dead skin from the surface of the face. Do not leave this on your face longer than the recommended amount of time as it will weaken your skin's ability to defend itself.
- The main benefit of an acne facial is to focus on extraction of any blocked pores. To achieve that, you would have to make sure to release any oils or dirt that have been built up over time. Once that is completed it will reduce the appearance of acne and reduce the inflammation in your skin. Your skin will be complimented with something like salicylic acid or glycolic acid to keep the acne bacteria at bay.
- One of the main benefits of lymphatic drainage is that it reduces puffiness. Tension gets built up over the years around the face and neck. The reason why it feels like a message is because it starts by relieving tension and blockage. This will instantly improve circulation, remove water retention and also get rid of toxins that are stuck in place, which will give you an overall healthier complexion.
LED Light Therapy
- One of the most common non-invasive treatments for improving a range of skin concerns is LED light therapy, this is because each wavelength of light has the ability to cause different reactions. The Most common color is blue because of its efficiency in both targeting and fighting against inflammation, which would be used for acne causing bacteria and to prevent future breakouts. Red light also helps heal your skin faster due to the production of collagen growth and skin rejuvenation.
- Another common type of facial treatment is acupuncture. We all know that acupuncture is when a variety of tiny needles are inserted into the face to promote micro-injuries which in return promote collagen growth. Some of the benefits include the firming of saggy skin, minimizing fine lines and wrinkles as swells as reducing the appearance of scarring.
Anti Aging Facial
- Common anti aging facial regimens include: chemical peels, microdermabrasion and micro current therapy. These treatments are usually bundled due to the fact that they are able to address sagging skin, sun damage, textured skin, and most importantly fine lines and wrinkles.
- When looking at facials to clear issues like hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tones, the brightening facial is ideal. The reason why this is the case is due to the power of Vitamin C and other antioxidants, this is usually paired with light therapy or a classic facial.
- One of the most common facials is known as an aromatherapy facial due to the combination of essential oils that are used to not only massage the face but also the neck area. One of the benefits that most people do not consider is the therapeutic effects of the oil. These oils are filled with vitamins that allow you to feel relaxed, replenished and freshened after their treatment.
What type of facial is right for me?
Have normal skin?
Anyone can benefit from a facial, even if you believe you have great skin. Those with normal skin, meaning it is not oily usually can be treated with a variety of moisturizers, toners, and masks.
The benefit of this is not having to worry as much about the adverse reactions caused after treating your skin. For normal skin types, exfoliation, moisturizing massage, and deep cleansing facial mask which ideally will target and clean your pores.
The next step would be to include a protective serum and an under eye gel to both look refreshed and also to lift your skin which prevents it from sagging.
Have oily skin?
Those with oily skin have to be more precautions due to the fact that you will be more likely to break out with acne.
Most people do not realize that putting oils and moisturizers are not necessarily a good thing when massaging it into your face because it may cause you to build more acne.
Regular Hydrafacial treatments can help your other products work better— Miami Skin Spa (@MiaSkinSpa) May 18, 2021
It is important to speak to someone like a nurse or esthetician to see what serums will not clog your pores or increase the oiliness of your skin. We recommend a more intensive acne facial treatment due to the fact that your basic facials are not going to do anything to prevent the future build up of acne.
In order to do so, you will have to have your monthly upkeep which will include facials and serums.
Have combination skin?
Combination Skin is the middle ground between normal and oily skin types. In order to get an accurate understanding of which skin type you are, I recommend speaking to a licensed professional.
Certain areas of your skin can be more oily and sensitive than others and that is why it is called a combination skin. This is one of the more common skin types.
How often should you get a facial?
In an ideal world a facial should be completed every two weeks. However not everyone has the time to pamper themselves this often. We recommend at the very least once every six weeks. This is because a lot of dirt and oil can build up in your pores and eventually will cause you to break out or even have blackheads.
Some Medical Spas will even offer monthly memberships that will allow you to maintain a healthy face at a more affordable price.
How much does a facial cost?
A basic facial will usually range from the $49 price point whereas some facials reach as high as $399. It all depends on how long the treatment is being administered and what kind of products are used. At Miami Skin Spa our Signature Hydrafacial starts at $149 which will exfoliate, cleanse, and extract the dirt from your clogged pores.
Our anti-aging, acne defense and clarifying/radiance facials are included in Deluxe Hydrafacials, which range around $250 to $350 depending on your boosters of choice.
Do's and dont’s after a facial?
It's always a good idea to stay out of the sun, but when you live in Miami that's hard. Even the reflection of the sunlight of the ground can impact your skin. After a facial it is best to avoid the sun for a couple of hours and to drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
Your skin could be red and slightly inflamed after a facial and you don't want it to be exposed to sunlight as it's in a sensitive state.
You also want to continue to apply your skin care practitioners recommended products. This will keep any of your problem areas at bay.